Pattie Altobelli Barbato- Petite United America 2012/2013

Pattie Altobelli Barbato- Petite United America 2012/2013

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Komen Maryland Race for the Cure 2011


It's hard to believe that after all these months, Race Day finally came and is now over! It was an amazing day and somehow, each year is better than the year before. I was amazed at the number of survivors who visited our tent today. Every year, it seems the number increases dramatically from the year before. It demonstrates that truly, we are getting closer to a cure. I am always touched at how proudly the survivors come into the tent and sign their names to the canvases we have waiting for them. They also provide the number of years they have been cancer free. I have seen everything from 5 weeks to 21 years. Each has their own story, which they are usually eager to share. All have touched my heart, some have left me speechless. I walk away from today knowing more than ever, I want to do more. The feeling is magnified when you are surrounded by people who put their hearts and souls into what they do. In all the years that I have served on the Survivor Committee, I have never heard anyone say they were overwhelmed or that they were frustrated. Everyone is involved for the same reason, to make an impact. I have learned so much from Kim Wright, the Survivor Chair. She's a pretty amazing lady, as are all the ladies I have had the honor of working with!

I walked away from today with a few beautiful scarves courtesy of Steve and Adam with Ford, who also had the keys to the beautiful "Warriors in Pink" mustang, coffee from Zeke's Coffee in Baltimore, and many other goodies from various vendors who supported the race. I took a photo near the infamous "Warriors in Pink" mustang which will be featured on the website for the Ocean City Chamber of Commerce. Ocean City, MD will be holding its 1st Race for the Cure in April.

Thank you to everyone who supported the 2011 Maryland Race for the Cure! Together we can make a difference!